Chef's Recipe Box
Chef's Recipe Box
4 pints strawberries
3T olive oil
1 bunch Thyme
2 quarts vegetable stock
4 sheets of nori snack sheets(optional)
1/8 high quality olive oil (we use Arabian Family olive oil)
2T Aged sherry vinegar
1 cup cucumber, small dice
½ cup red onion, small dice
½ cup fennel, small dice
½ cup crème fraiche
Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Prepare strawberries by removing the top stem.
3. In a mixing bowl, add strawberries with olive oil and salt and coat the berries to marinate. Place berries on a sheet tray and scatter thyme sprigs over the berries.
4. Roast berries until they become a dark red and most of the natural liquid is extracted. (Roughly 25 minutes depending on your oven)
5. Blend strawberry with vegetable stock until smooth, season with salt, finishing olive oil, and sherry vinegar to achieve a more savory quality.
6. Chill for 2 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
7. Serve with garnishes: cucumber, onion, fennel & crème fraiche
3 lbs. Cardoon stalks
1 Yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
2 cups parmesan reggiano (grated)
2 cups ½ & ½
1 T fresh cracked pepper
2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
Sliced sourdough (to serve gratin as a spread)
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Fill a large sauce pan with water. Squeeze juice from the lemon into the water before placing the whole lemon into the water. Cut cardoons into roughly 4 inch pieces and remove all leaves. With a vegetable peeler or pairing knife peel away the fibrous exterior. Place the stalks in the pot of lemon infused water. Bring the water to a simmer and continue simmering for 35 min.
3. Remove cardoons from water and let cool to at least room temperature. Slice cardoons, crosswise, in ½ inch slices.
4. In a medium size skillet, sauté onions and garlic in a small amount of olive oil until translucent. Toss in sliced cardoons, stock, half-and-half and 1 cup of parmesan.
5. Simmer until the liquid is reduced by about half (thickened) and then season with salt to taste.
6. Scatter the remaining parmesan over the cardoon mixture and place the pan in the oven until the cheese is lightly browned (about 5 min). Spread over toasted or grilled bread to serve.